To collaborate with external parties, a Kahua domain can ‘share’ instances of their applications with external parties on a project basis. The Kahua domain will send an invitation to the external parties to share an application, which will be accepted using the Task application. Once shared, the external parties will be able to access the applications log at the permission level the originating party designated. The external parties will not be logging into the share initiator domain, but will be accessing the application log directly from their own company’s domain.
To share an application (in this case: Submittal Items app):
- In the Submittal Items application within the project, select More. A drop-down menu appears. Select Sharing. If this is not an option, you may not have appropriate permission level to initiate a share. Work with your Domain Administrator to resolve, if required.
- Select ADD to add an external party share.
- A new window displays in the right pane. Enter the appropriate information for each field.
Note: Generally you will want to choose to share with a ‘Company.’ The Company must be in the Kahua Companies application in the ‘Contacts’ app to share with them and must be a Kahua user, with appropriate licenses to ‘accept’ the share.
- Project - This field will be auto populated based on the project you have navigated to from the Browse App.
- Application - Verify the correct application name appears in the drop down
- Share with - The user will be able to choose between Company or Group. Users share with a Company, as this allows for greater flexibility in filtering shares to eliminate risk of sharing confidential information on the log.
When the user chooses Company, specific fields will appear to help define the parameters of the share:
- Company - Select the desired company. Kahua will display the company that the users added to the Contact application. If the Company does not appear, it must be added first to the company tab under the Contact application.
- Permission Level - Select the appropriate permission. For instance, a contractor will have the Contributor permission. This list is looking to the ‘Groups application.’. The groups were set up by your domain administrator to define standard permissions. Choose the appropriate group.
In the example below, the Contributor permission level will allow the external party user to: Add, edit, export, open the application, process, and view Submittals, but NOT to delete Submittals.
- Send Invite To - Select the external party user to whom the invitation to share is sent to. Kahua will display the users from the company field selected above. You should choose just one individual to receive the invite. This individual is responsible for accepting the share via a task in Kahua on behalf of their company.
When the user chooses Group rather than Company, specific fields will appear. Recall that sharing with a group means that all users invited to the share will have the same permission – to filter a log when shared, use the Company option above.
- Permission Level - Select the Permission Level in the drop-down list. Again, this refers to the Groups set up by your domain administrator. These groups give the permissions to the external user by role. Select the appropriate group and the permission assigned to that group will auto populated below.
Once the permission level has been assigned, a list of users with their company, company status and invitation status will be displayed below the Send Invite To. The user will be able to choose the users/companies to invite to the share. These users will receive a task to accept the share into their domain.
- Allow copy - this allows the external parties to keep a copy of the record shared with the business partner upon termination of the share. This is good practice if the company will need to reference a static version of the log post-project.
- Filters - allows the user to set a filter to limit what the external party will see in the log. This is commonly used in allowing a company to see solely the records that apply to their company for confidentiality reasons.
Once all the fields have been populated and reviewed, select Send Invitation to send the invitation to the external parties. At this time, a task will be sent to the user(s) selected in the share.